BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rudy Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 17:08:45 EDT
In a message dated 10/22/98 2:33:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< A formal education is invaluable and can lead to many wonderful
 opportunities. But in addition to imparting knowledge, one of the
 objectives of formal education is to foster a lifelong love of
 learning.  >>

Speaking of shifting paradigms, we may need to take a look at the term
"formal" as more and more people (like my wife and I) choose home schooling.
Similarly we need to teach people that "public" and "private" education are
not the only viable alternatives. Many (if not most) of the structures we
endeavor to preserve predate the public education system we all seem to think
of as "formal" (normal?).

It reminds me of the day I stopped into the local grocery store 24 hrs after
the home birth of our son. The cashier asked if we had had our baby yet. After
I supplied her with what must have been a few too many details, she rolled her
eyes and said " The only way for me (to give birth) is the "normal" way. Take
me to the hospital. Knock me out, and show me the baby when I wake up!"

It doesn't take many generations to forget.

Rudy