From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:40:16 +0100
Michael Audette wrote:

> In central and south america, civilizations have come and gone,
>due to soil depletion.

I feel to be fully d'accord with what alexs wrote about soil
depletion. My only only vision is to develop an organic
agriculture witch will return (recycle) minerals to the soil.

Michael, it may be, that is was due to soil depletion.
Up to now it seemed to me as if the nativ america civilisations
were destructed by superior military technology and european
deseases - at least Inca and Aztecs and several north american.
(According to Jared Diamind the deseases were "developed" by the
livestock agriculture see: Guns Germs...).

How much faster will *we* be gone? Animal agriculture munches
10-fold the soil, compared to the ancient direct plant eaters.
And furthermore we are 10 to 200 as much people as native americans
were before the invasion.

This isn't a real nutrition topic - but it seems obvious that
original paleo-style products (wild grown)
are and will be available only to a small count of humans.
This applies for plants and animals.

On topic Zinc: Rachel didn't you recall from my posting
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind9912&L=paleofood&P=R18163
that (beef) meat is only at position 74 of zinc content?

If you want zinc, eat oysters! They are far first place.
Or I'd suggest to try pumpkin seed, sesame , innards, sunflower...

Of course, as we learned, it's important *not* to include
unsoaked and germinated cereals. It will spoil any mineral donators
eaten into the same stomach.

regards
Amadeus S.

--