From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2000 17:36:10 +0100
Jean-Claude wrote:
>Organic agriculture is depleting soils because it rely on
>outside sources of fertiliser so in the global sheme it is robed
>from somewhere.
>... and much IMO right things about agriculture ...

What kind of "organic agriculture" are you referring to?
Where I live, there are some  organic organizations (like
"Demeter", biologisch-dynamisch) with very strict rules
about how to produce.  Of course *no* kind of chemical
fertilizers are allowed.  Fertilizer may be compost or
animal excrements but *only* from the own land
or from likewise organic farms.
This IMO prevents the soil from becomeing depleted on minerals.
What would happen by only adding nitrogen (and few else) and
carrying away it together with the soils own minerals.

Who has animals (e.g. cattle, pig) has to nourish them from
the *own* land's crops. This prevents the land from beeing again
overload with nitrogen in excrements, stemming from imported
crops (namely soy from the americas!).

The bad news are, that emerging countries (like india) often rely
on the big growing harvests from "wonder grains", pesticides and
chemical fertilizers.
Such non-organic harvests are between 2 and 6-fold of organic
ones.  But after some years, soils will be depleted and it won't
work anymore.  More bad news. 95 to 98% of all agriculture in the
west (USA and Europe) are of exactely this "bad" type and most of
the harvest is fed to animals.

> .... After few years ( 30 , 50 years) the microlife
> getting so sparse and minerals so unavailable that it doesn't
> work anymore or require more and more unbalanced fertiliser.
Our organic way makes microlife rapidly better in a few years.
So, that you can dig into the earth with bare hands.

Other constraints, which i consider important too, are that crops
mustn't be genetically engeneeded ones and the fields musn't be
located near dangerous emmitents (autobahn).

>If you are interested in a real sustainable no cultivation
>,fertilisation mean to produce mineral rich food  in a semi
>paleo way ( you still have to sow and selecting plants). read
>Masanobu Fukuoka authour of "The naturel way of farming","one
>straw revolution", and road back to Nature.
I am. Thanks for the tip. Maybe his ideas are close to
what i described as my vision.
From what you told, i guess that this is what you are doing.

regards
Amadeus S.