From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 18:08:05 +0100
Ilya wrote:

>I used to have incredibly vivid dreams for a period of time
>(some time around
>starting low carbing). They were of various types, but most were
>definitely NOT nightmares (very few were).
>Most were actually extremely pleasant.
>I wish I was getting more of them now.
>
>Ilya

Hey Ilya, at last you did it. You mentioned one reason why I could
be interested into low-carbing. :-)) DREAMS.

Increasing dream recall and managing to have more vivid dreams is one of
my goals due to my interest in lucid dreaming.
Have you read Stephen LaBerge (or at www.lucidity.com)?

Before the age of TV and other disturbances I think that the dream world
was much more important for humans. Shamanism seems to work with it too.
I heared from south american jungle natives that they were "hard to
convince that dreams were not the 'real' reality".

I wonder if the effect you experienced had something to do
with serotonin and tryptophan. Serotonin is believed to enhance
meditations and possibly lucid dreams. One lucid dreamer at
alt.dreams.lucid reported a drastic increase by the intake of 5-HTP
(5-hydroxytryptophan).
Serotonin is *made* from tryptophan in the evening and needed
to fall asleep.
Tryptophan is in a competition with other molecules at the blood/brain
barriere. Food changes may easily have an affect to the
tryptophan-availability for the brain.

So...
Last night I had a real LC supper (artichoke chikore,
olive oil flax oil salad) with 6 g carbs.

There are usefull exercises to enhance ones dreams described in the
diverse lucid-dreaming books and internet resources.

cheers
Amadeus

--
Sent through Global Message Exchange - http://www.gmx.net