From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:20:49 -0500
At 10:06 PM 2/18/1998 Lance Cummings wrote:

>Let's see . . . oh, yes!  John Chin mentioned an insert or a
>Dremel to get the ATX ports aligned.  Didn't know about the
>ability to do this, and this was one of my problems.  Please
>tell me more about this!  I've never heard of a Dremel.
>I'd really like to keep this tower for one very silly reason:
>It looks nice!  :))  I've seen some of the newer designs, and
>frankly, they don't look like what I think a computer looks like.
>
>More than one person has mentioned waiting.  And it's true,
>prices fall.  But it never *isn't* true, right?  :)  Is what is going
>to happen in the next 3 months or so really going to make
>the wait worth while?

Lance:

The ATX motherboard should fit. But it is WIDER (extends past
the keyboard port -- and features ports beyond it -- towards the
power supply) and SHORTER (doesn't extend as far towards
the front of the case).

Gateway towers have cutouts in the motherboard pan (backing
plate) for cooling and you may need extension brackets to
support the plastic standoffs and pots/screws attaching the
motherboard to it in the center. What you have already should
align and be sufficient support, but one never knows.

The ATX on-board ports need cutouts in the back of your AT tower
case (you should look on the INTEL.COM website to get the ATX
form factor info and CHECK). The panel with the backet openings,
keyboard cutout, etc. , might be replaceable (though, I don't see any
reason why Gateway would sell you one), or reconfigurable
(look for punchouts) as later model cases seem to have.

There also may be wiring kits to allow you to run the ATX port
connectors to the actual punchouts in your case. Probably depends
on the ATX board you buy.

If you cannot get a new panel, rewire or reconfigure the back panel,
you will have to (if you are really serious about keeping the
case) take a DREMEL high-speed motorized rotary cutting tool
and cut out your new port openings with a metal cutting wheel.
Alternatively, you can find another backing panel with the
openings in it (from another case manufacturer) and adapt
it to your case (you'll have to make cuts, anyway, and bolt it in).

Be advised that the ATX specification calls for the POWER
SUPPLY to pull air INTO the case and blow it over the CPU and
RAM assemblies. Therefore, you should mount a fan to blow
over this area. Your Gateway case should have a stamped-out
area for an additional fan that is now blocked. Put a INTAKE fan
there and aim it towards your CPU.

A Dremel is a great tool, looks like a big electric engraver tool;
works like a router without a base. The cutting wheels are on a
post that fit into the collar; you can get grinding wheels, bits
and other attachments (even a router base and a flexible
shaft, like you might see at a jeweler's bench). Be very careful
using it.

Great tool, about $100 for a Multi-Pro (5-speeds) with
attachments and extras (in the U.S., Costco is the place to
find the best bargain). The best place to buy cutting wheels,
etc, is at a big flea market because vendors there will sell other
companies' parts, quality stuff from Germany, Japan, etc.

Good luck.

Regards,

John Chin