RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 1998 08:17:52 EST
In a message dated 11/15/98 4:22:30 AM Central Standard Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<<
 > --Yes, I am a vegan.
 > I once consumed all raw for over a year and rid myself of life-threatening
 > diseases once I learned how to fine tune, but because I had trouble gaining
 > weight and getting past the zombie state (due to the severity of my past
 > health problems) I started consuming grains. Got addicted to cooked food
 > again.

 My thoughts re: weight -- typical reasons for weight loss, emaciation,
 and the like with 100% raw diets are: 1) lack of sufficient calories, 2)
 too much fruit (a breakdown/cleansing food), 3) no animal protein, 4)
 lack of starches.

--My reason for being a walking skeleton was because I fasted for a total of
34 days on water only. While this allowed my vital organs to heal and
revitalize, there were few resources left on which to draw. And over eating,
in an attempt to pack on calories and weight proved too much of a burden and
my body could not metabolize it. After a year of no weight gain, on the advice
of a N.H. physician, I started eating grains very cautiously. Seemed to do
okay, so went full force and got addicted.

--Wish now I'd been more patient and learned to build health back gradually
and not try to force things. But, hey, "the day we stop learning, we stop
living.";-)

 My thoughts re: "zombie state" as you put it -- this can also be
 referred to as being too "expansive". Basic reason for this is an
 imbalance in contractive/expansive energies. If one eats too much fruit
 and salads, one will tend to get too expansive, spaced out, and
 "zombied". This can be rectified by eating more contractive (grounding)
 foods, such as: nuts, seeds, avocados, tubers, roots, grains, and
 especially some animal protein.

--This might prove well for many others but I had a specific negative reaction
to concentrated protein and fat (oil in nuts/seeds/avocados, etc), which is
why I became so knowledgeable on the subject and was able to verify Dr.
Campbell's and other NH theory re: the connection between concentrated protein
and disease onset For that reason I couldn't depend on them to build and
increase weight Fruits and certain low sodium vegetables were my staple Which,
without the seeds and nuts and high sodium fruits and veggies didn't leave a
lot on which to build. Hence the emaciated body And why grains "seemed" to be
the answer.

 Actually, each food has specific characteristics energetically -
 contractive/expansive, warming/cooling, buildup/breakdown, etc...

 > For the record, I do become a much more centered, wiser and more
understanding
 > and tolerant person when I stick to the all raw, especially if there are a
lot
 > of calming greens in my diet. Not easy to do, however. Fruit is so easy and
so
 > tempting.

 Yes, fruit can be addicting, for sure. However, I personally have
 gravitated towards using less fruit. This is good in a lot of ways, and
 helps balance blood sugar levels as well.

--Indeed, I've found that out through trial and error.

.. I've learned is that a
 couple of big reasons raw foodists crave so much fruit, especially sweet
 fruits, is because they are a) deficient in complex carbs, and b)
 lacking in animal protein.

--Going on Dr. Campbell's findings (you might wish to check into The China
Project, I think it's on the web somewhere), humans have not evolved in such a
way that consuming animal protein is health promoting. That said, it is
obvious humans have tolerated animal protein, but just that it is not the most
highly suitable fuel for their digestive tracts

The raw "sweet tooth" syndrome can be largely
 attributed to those two factors. Eating complex carbs and animal protein
 takes away a lot of the desire to eat all that sweetness and more
 simpler carbohydrates... When we're more nourished, and getting what we
 biologically need, we have little if any desire to go heavy on the
 fruits.

 Wes

--I appreciate you input and the time you have put into researching this
important subject. As "Jo sezs," the important thing is not to refrain from
challenging anything, but to keep an open mind.

gc