RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gerry Coffey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 13:34:33 EST
In a message dated 3/17/99 3:39:35 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 >No Peter, I do not know the answers.  I'm a student.  I use a refractometer
 >because it helps me visually see what my degenerated sniffer and taster
 >aren't so good at.  Quality does matter and its a handy tool to help me get
 >my share of the good stuff.
 >
 >Regards,
 >Rex Harrill
 >BTW: the 'macro nutrients' (calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium,
 >and, according to some, sodium) need to be in a particular 'balance' for
 >best (think healthiest) vegetative growth.  That balance, reflected in the
 >plant, seems to be best (think healthiest) for the animals eating thereof.

Rex:
Thanks to you, I'm purchasing a refracto meter (or whatever).

Re: soils.

In heavy clay soil, do you know what amount of retention of water there is
with each ½ percent increase of organic matter? Some "no till" cotton farmers,
one of whom just returned from a fact finding trip in Brazil (their methods
are FAR superior!) want to find out how much more water the soil will hold,
i.e., less run-off, if organic matter is added.

It seems even on high cliffs, hills and mountain tops in Brazil, the top soil
is so bountiful it absorbs all the water with little or no erosion or run-off.

Comments from anyone knowledgeable on the subject are welcome;-)

gc