RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 13:46:11 -0600
Ward Nicholson said:
>I think what bothers people most about the deaths of prominent figures
>in the alternative health movement is that the details often seem to be
>shrouded in mystery or don't seem forthcoming enough. (Few heard about
>Shelton's death due to Parkinson's until long after the fact, and the
>typical defensive explanation in Hygienic circles that he got it from
>overwork, thus PROVING the canon of Hygeiene, seems to many a bit too
>convenient to swallow, for instance.)

Jo sez:
Yeah,  these details were not forthcoming. Isn't Parkinson's disease a
degenerative nervous disorder? And when Dr. Shelton suffered from symptoms
during the last decade of his life, is it fair to attribute the condition
to "overwork" when he submitted himself to two extended fasts (which
durations if I remember correctly was three weeks each) to ameliorate the
disease? The more likely scenario points to some type of chronic
nutritional deficiency borne out of a do or die adherence to a dietary
philosophy.

More recently, Harvey Diamond, author of Fit For Life was visiting Calgary
promoting the third installment of his FFL series titled New Path to
Vibrant Health. Part of the article read:

******
Diamond himself used the method he advises to cleanse his system of Agent
Orange, a toxic defoliant he was exposed toduring the U.S. war in Vietnam,
which has claimed the lives of thousands of veterans and put an equal
number into wheelchairs.

About 20 years after exposure, muscles in the body begin to wither. Within
a decade, arms and legs no longer work. Diamond has lost retractor muscles
in  his arms and hands and has been left with a limp, but credits
detoxification cleansing with halting progress of the poison.
******

Not to underestimate the toxicity of Agent Orange and the lag time before
such symptoms arise, doesn't 10 years (or however long Harvey has been
hygienic) of detoxification consitute a fair trial period for flushing the
chemical out of the body? Now he's afflicted with some neuromuscular
disorder. Will he investigate the possibility that something is amiss with
his diet (could be other lifestyle factors as well)? Or will he allow the
condition to worsen and blame it on the past Agent Orange?

This summer will be an eye-opening period for me.