RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:33:32 -0600
Rex Harrill wrote:
Now I'm a sucker for sushi, but the idea of just slicing off a chunk of a
fish that had been quivering scant moments ago---and sticking it in my
(our) mouth---was too much.

What the hell...I popped a piece in my mouth.
[snip]
We then dipped some in soy sauce
and, just like someone here earlier said, it tasted "right."

Jo sez:
Way to go Rex! Next time, try mixing some "wasabi" (freshly grated from
whole root, powdered or ready-made in a tube available at your nearest
Asian supermarket) with the soy sauce. That'll clear your sinuses for sure!
Remember, a little dab will do ya. Also, try to minimize the soy sauce.
Again, a little dab should do.

Your foray into sashimi reminded me about my decision to experiment with
eggs since the beginning of May. I really didn't have this desperate
craving for them. But it was definitely a firm resolve to institute them
into my diet. Considering the absence of ANY animal products in my diet
since the summer of '87, I was kinda surprised by the lack of repulsion on
my first mouthful. In fact, they tasted great! It wasn't a big deal, maybe
because I've become more wary of subscribing exclusively to one dietary
system (natural hygiene, fruitarianism).

These eggs are scrambled conservatively with a couple tablespoons of water
in a non-stick fry pan (don't dig raw eggs nor soft-boiled ones either). I
may consider using raw eggs in blended drinks.

So far I've noticed a return of "springiness" in my muscles and faster
recovery after weight-training workouts (which themselves are going really
well since the eggs were included in my diet). The trade-off has been a
loss of that "shine" feeling in my body. It's reflected in my running which
seems a bit more arduous than when I'm not consuming animal products. Maybe
all this is psychosomatic, we'll see.

I'm searching for range-fed chicken eggs and it looks like a few local
farmers markets will be likely places to nab them.

Aside from the eggs, I'll change nothing, and then after another month or
two, I'll re-examine the results on my overall level of health.