BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:01:34 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From:   Dean Koga [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   December 21, 1998 6:20 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: High Energy Paint Removal

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Ken Follett wrote:

> At the IPTW in MD last month someone remarked to me that a new environmental
> hazard problem is arising from the chemicals in Wolmanized "pressure treated"
> lumber leaching into the soil. Seems that there will be a problem w/
> contaminaton of soil beneath suburban decks, as well as in agricultural
> applications. I'm curious to know more.
>
> ][<en
I think the preservative in Wolmanized lumber is chromated copper
arsenate.  The chromium and arsenic components of that chemical are toxic
to humans.  That could be why the leached deposits are a problem.  I've
heard that gardeners have been discouraged from using pressure treated
lumber for edging of gardeing plots.

My oh my where will it all stop...is it possible to sterilize life and still survive?  11 years ago my commission had to address the question of replacement of telephone and power poles: creosote poles were being abandoned due to environmental concerns and replaced with, you got it, CCA (salt-treated) poles.  The issue was going from dirty brown sticky drippy poles with recognized patina to smooth green pastel poles with unrecognized patina and the effect upon the character of the historic districts.  Now I find out that we will have to go through that again when CCA poles are abandoned due to environmental concerns.  What's next?  Guard rails around the poles so that children cannot embrace them?

Remember, god is in the details.
Dan Becker,  Executive Director      "Conformists die, but
Raleigh Historic                              heretics live on forever"
Districts Commission                             -- Elbert Hubbard