RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:43:03 -0600
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> Wes (to Liza):
>
> > Eat meal of fruit. Chances are you have great energy and are not tired.
>
> It was the case when I began eating raw (I was probably lacking fruit
> on my previous diet). If I have a fruit-only meal, then either I don't
> have sufficient energy, or I eat too much sugar and I feel lethargic
> 2-3 hours later (can't open my eyes and sleep on the table).

Same here. Added nuts does the trick...Add some soaked almonds.

> > > ALL food demands pancreatic enzymes.
> >
> > True, but cooked food demands much more.
>
> Even cooked rice compared to raw rice??

I don't know about rice. I do know that raw fruits & veggies, etc. pass
through my stomach faster than cooked and feel lighter as well. Seems
the enzymes are playing quite a role there. Same with using food enzyme
capsules with cooked as opposed to not.

> > A need for 18,000 calories a day would be a world record! The most I've
> > heard of was about 6,000 a day for a 400# weight lifter. This is
> > attainable raw - no need to cook anything. Eat lots of raw soaked
> > grains, nuts, seeds, dates, dried fruit, avocados, raw eggs, raw dairy
> > (including butter), etc.
>
> If I had to eat 6000 calories of raw food a day, I would feel somewhat
> full and/or have a sugar overload.

Not necessarily... The raw foods I mentioned are all high calorie. No
need to over-fill yourself. Just one average size avocado contains about
300 calories. The sugars can be used in moderation or not used at all
(fruit).

> Wes:
> >Person A should look into eating raw starch in the form of
> >soaked/sprouted grains.
>
> ... If person A
>  -likes grains
>  -can eat gluten-containing foods
> BTW, do you know that one of the reasons why sprouted grains are more
> digestible than unsprouted ones is that the starch has been converted
> into simpler carbohydrates, like maltose?

My thought is that gluten is only harmful when cooked... There must be
quite a difference between raw and cooked gluten. Raw soaked/sprouted
wheat and wafers made from it should work well.

I do know that sprouting & soaking does some predigesting with grains,
nuts, etc. (in addition to releasing the enzyme inhibitors).

And you need to ask yourself whether or not it's worth it to eat cooked
starches, which have been shown to be damaging to blood sugar,
fattening, and colon-clogging, etc.. Cooked starch is just filler, is it
not? What nutritional value does it have? The structure of starch is
completely altered by cooking. It's destructured. It's broken down, and
loses its stabilizing effect on blood sugar, as opposed to raw starch.
And of course many nutrients are damaged by cooking it.

Cut up potatoes and put them in a salad. That should handle the taste
issue if you don't like them "straight".

> I've always like avocados, and always *hated* raw potatoes no matter
> how much I tried (I have tried potatoes many times since I began
> eating raw). If you like them, you must be very special because most
> people don't, even after 10 years of raw food.

Had another one last night; liked it. Seriously..No problem with raw
potatoes here. I prefer them taste-wise over raw yams even.

> Actually, I go to the restaurant about once a week now. Social life is
> important too, and there is no raw restaurant here.

Yes, but we don't have to have food in order to socialize... Or you can
eat raw foods at the restaurant.

Wes