RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Wes Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:42:55 -0600
Jean-Louis Tu wrote:

> Wes:
> > Raw food researcher Dr. Howard Loomis has found the same thing as Dr.
> > Paul Kauchakoff found repeatedly
>
> Could you provide the reference? Is it recent? (I made a search on
> Medline and couldn't find it).

In the introduction to the 2nd Edition of "Food Enzymes For Health &
Longevity", Viktoras Kulvinskas notes that "'Leukocytosis' is the name
that medical pathology gives to an excessive augment of white blood
corpuscles in the blood. Donders discovered this phenomenon in 1846 and
Virchow classified 'digestive leukocytosis' as 'normal' since everyone
seemed to suffer from it. This was upset by Dr. Paul Kautchakoff, M.D.,
who showed that the cooking of food was the cause of leukocytosis. The
white blood corpuscles prevent infection and intoxication of the blood.
Kautchakoff found that he could divide his findings on leukocytosis in
four distinct groups according to reaction in the blood: 1) raw food
produced no augment in white blood cells of the blood; 2) common cooked
food caused leukocytosis; 3) pressure cooked food caused greater
leukocytosis than non-pressure cooked food; 4) manufactured foods such
as wine, vinegar, white sugar, ham, etc. are the most offensive.
Kautchakoff was no vegetarian yet his findings show that flesh would
have to be eaten raw to avoid leukocytosis which would be unpalatable to
humans, but prepared meat (cooked, smoked, salted, etc.) brought on the
most violent reaction equivalent to the leukocytosis count manifest in
poisoning."

In "Conscious Eating", p. 368, Gabriel Cousens, M.D. mentions that "As
described earlier, research by Paul Kouchakoff, M.D., in 1930 showed
that every time we eat cooked foods, we get an increase of white blood
cells in our blood stream. DR. HOWARD LOOMIS HAS REGULARLY REPEATED SOME
OF DR. KOUCHAKOFF'S RESULTS IN HIS CLINICAL WORK WITH HUNDREDS OF
PATIENTS". (emphasis mine)

I believe Howell cites some material on leukocytosis in "Food Enzymes
for Health & Longevity". But I'd have to flip through it in order to
find the specifics.

> Next, we note that leukocytosis occurs in other circumstances than
> infections [Gabriel et al. 1997]: in particular, following exercise. It has
> been shown that infection-induced and exercise-induced leukocytosis
> differ in nature, but the phenomenon is still not well understood. No one
> will say that exercising is bad because of the subsequent leukocytosis.
> Similarly, it is known that pregnancy induces leukocytosis [Branch
> 1992], as well as increased levels of adrenalin. The mechanism
> underlying this phenomenon and its physiological implications are not
> known.

My thoughts: It's common knowledge that heavy exercise stresses the
immune system - i.e. invokes leukocytosis. Does ALL exercise produce
leukocytosis? In other words, does brisk walking do it as would running
or weight lifting?

As for pregnancy, I can see how that would provoke leukocytosis as well.

The mechanism/implication in my opinion: stress to the body. It seems
that such things as cooked foods, especially processed, and heavy
exercise, pregnancy, etc. are all stresses to the body, thus stimulate
the immune response/leukocytosis...

Wes