From:
Wolfson440 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:58:19 EST
Hi my name is Michelle Wolfson and I have been following a low-carbohydrate
lifestyle for 2-1/2 years. I made this choice due to food allergies and
because my doctor recommended it to treat symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia
and to lose weight.

I decided to follow the Atkins version and did great -- lost weight, got more
energy. For the first time in my life I felt that I was actually in control of
my weight and my health, instead of it controlling me.

Recently I had been reading some articles I found on the Paleo Diets web page
and learned about this variation of low-carb. I was intrigued by finding out
what diet our bodies are actually suited to.

I've been lurking now for a few months and finally was able to obtain a copy
of Neander-Thin -- I couldn't seem to find it in any bookstore!

Having been a suscriber to the Atkins list I've seen much debate on whether to
take vitamins, the need for them etc. I finally understand now the true role
of vitamins (or any other supplements). My conclusion is that vitamins are
important in therapeutic doses to reverse the effects of years of poor diet,
but after health is restored vitamins should not be needed if the proper diet
is consumed. Or if a person has underlying health conditions that cannot be
corrected by diet, then again vitamins can be used to help the body as a
therapeutic element.

It also seems to me that for people following the Paleo Diet that it's all or
nothing. That if you can't or don't follow ALL the "rules" then don't bother
with the diet at all.

Specifically, I've seen some discussion here about whether it's Ok to consume
coffee, beer, wine or an occasional piece of birthday cake. My feeling is that
yes, there are foods that have addictive properties. Some people can "cheat"
on specific occasions and have no problem. For others, one cup of coffee will
trigger an addictive "binge" and cravings leading to other problems.

I truly believe that what matters is the overall lifestyle and that the
occasional indulgence will have no long term effect -- but each person needs
to avoid the foods that are "trigger" foods for them.

I have not yet made the committment to follow the Paleo Diet -- it really does
take a committment to always have the right foods in the house and to prepare
them. So for me the problem is consistency. But for now I'll read Neander-Thin
and keep following Atkins.

I've been on the maintenance level for the past year, since my daughter was
born and I'm still breastfeeding. But now I'm ready to shed some excess pounds
and make some improvements to my diet.

My main goal is to be consistent with whichever low-carb plan I adopt. I tend
go through phases where "cheating" is the norm for a few days and then I kick
myself and go back on the diet. I've been reluctant to give up dairy, but I
think that giving it up will finally get rid of some lingering sinus problems
that I've had for year. And I drink way too much coffee. I finally gave up
soft drinks (I have only one diet coke a week now instead of the 2-3 a day I
used to drink!)

I guess ultimately the goal for all of us to have optimal health -- or at
least make sure that our diets won't be the cause of health problems. There
are so many factors that can affect health!

I'll keep you posted on my progress. In the meantime I'll get reading and keep
lurking!!
Michelle