From:
"Mary E. Copeland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 1998 14:31:38 -0500
Michelle,  welcome to the list.

I too am an Atkins refugee and have been following Neanderthin off and on
since Ray first popped up on the lowcarb list about a year ago (although
most on the Paleolist would not recognize my name since I hardly ever
post).  Actually, I've been low-carbing for nearly 4 years now, starting
with CAD and then Atkins, but have lost very slowly on those plans.  Since
February I have been pretty strictly Paleo, with some small lapses (a
little cheese here and there).  The discipline is not that hard after doing
Atkins.  I have noticed a big decrease in allergy symptoms after
eliminating dairy.  I have eliminated artificial sweeteners, coffee
(because I don't like it without cream and artificial sweeteners), dairy
(except a little butter) and now drink a lot more water.  I've lost 11 lbs.
since February, faster than I ever have with any other lowcarb plan.  I've
noticed that I have lots more energy and that my taste for sweeteners has
greatly diminished.  I put a little sweet and low in iced tea the other day
and only needed 1/2 pack instead of 3, but mostly I don't use it anymore.
I seldom eat fruits because it slows my weight loss and makes me hungry.
And I still take vitamins.  As with most diets, it seems like most of us
here modify it to suit our needs/tastes, so I think as a practical matter
it's not really all of nothing, it's just that some cheats are more
damaging.  If I eat anything with wheat in it now I get really sick.  Some
of us use butter or cream, some drink coffee, some drink alcohol.  I drink
unsweetened tea or iced tea (regular caffeinated), and I have yet to find a
decent salad dressing recipe made with olive oil and lemon juice, so I use
lowcarb bottled dressings or make one with olive oil and vinegar (a no-no
on Paleo).

Mary Copeland