From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 15:04:42 +0100
Hi Michael,

I agree the FT-450 can be used, but I want to control NR, compression,
filtering, band shape, attenuation, pre amp, AGC, noise blanker, split,
power, VOX, and the notch in real time and potentially on each QSO.
Probably because I'm a DXer and work on the absolute edge, but also when I
run national nets.  Whenever I've heard a FT-450 the audio is excellent, and
as far as I know the performance is not in question, but adding a voice does
not, in my opinion, necessarily make a rig accessible.

I should also say that whenever I run a Net, the FT-450 owners can struggle
to find the round frequency.  If you use a PC with your radio, well, that's
different and levels the playing field <smile>.

So I'm not considered a Yaesu basher, I found the FT-2000 to be very usable,
if it had a built in voice chip it would be excellent.  As it is, I needed a
PC to tell me the frequency.

BTW, I don't think we can expect solo hobbyists to provide support for all
radios, as in the case of QSYER and HamPod.  It's a bit like expecting
Active Elements to hold accessibility reviews on all radios.  Ideally and
practically tend to only meet occasionally <smile>!.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals