From:
Gary Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 10:08:32 -0400
Actually,  programming for the cat interface of yaesu is not a pleasant
task.  It gives no acknowledgement of command receipt, and does not use
either hardware or software flow control.  Also, at least as of the 817 and
897, memory programming and selection via cat commands was not supported.
If you would like more info, talk with John Hansen about the difficulties
with the qsyer.

The third party folks are simply picking the lowest hanging fruit.