From:
Ron Steers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 06:55:55 GMT
>whenever the Control Panel is closed a
>FATAL ERROR occurs in Vxd IFSMGR (04), and then he loses all the icons
>in his tray.

I had exactly this problem and found my answer here:

Article ID: Q175211
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q175/2/11.asp

All the best,

Nancy Peress

To all,
        Nancy solved this problem with her knowledge of this problem that
has apparently just been added to the MS Knowledge Base. Thanks to her
diligence we have solved this problem just as we were ready to start
removing RAM and hard drives, and all the hardware solutions. This is
worth noting for anyone with a scanner. The scanner in this case was an
HP, and one of its files was installed into the windows\system folder,
when it belongs in the windows\system\iosubsys folder. Without this list
(and Nancy) we would still be wondering.

--
     Best Regards,
     Ron Steers in Sunny Sacramento <[log in to unmask]>

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]