From:
Ron Steers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 17:06:33 GMT
A client has a brand new PC clone, 233 Mhz AMD, 64 MB SDIMM RAM, Western
Digital 6.x Gb HD, and Win 95B obviously not installed over Win 3.1. He
has a consistent problem in that whenever the Control Panel is closed a
FATAL ERROR occurs in Vxd IFSMGR (04), and then he loses all the icons
in his tray. A reboot brings everything back. We tried a Win 95
reinstall where you opt to VERIFY, and the Verify choice never came up,
so we ended up doing a reinstall. That cured a font problem he had with
field name headings in Time & Chaos, but the Fatal Exceptions are still
there. We have run the latest Dr. Solomon's Antivirus, with no virii
showing. We have run Norton Disk Doctor for Win 95, there were no
problems.
        I have spent HOURS scouring the MSKB, and the only suggestion there
was to reinstall Win 95, since IFSMGR (Installable File System Manager)
is loaded every time Win 95 loads. (This did not mention specifically a
Control Panel problem) Could the Win 95 installation disk be corrupt?
Could this be a physical RAM problem? Any suggestions are welcome!
--
 Best regards,

 Ron in Sacramento <[log in to unmask]>
 Computer * Support - Software Installation, Training & Updating
 (Internet and Software Setup, Troubleshooting)
 Personal and Small Business Consulting & Training
 In the Sacramento area, call (916) 566-9656

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]