From:
Brett Winches <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:02:07 -0700
Are you referring to a straight key for code or a keyed driven by some
kind of switch?

If the former a simple lever is all that is involved with a fulcrum
point with a spring to provide tension to raise the lever at the contact
end thus allowing raise the  breaks in a continuous make contact state.
Of the switch.

While I have not built one getting good ball bearing  action on the
fulcrum pivot point may be difficult for good high speed switching.

If you can work with brass materials or stainless steel with a brass
spring  this might do well.  Look through some older issues of QST CQ or
whatever for articles in this area.

Personally I would go find a good key and choose a good mounting surface
of exotic work or perhaps nickel plated or some other type of base and
go from there and not try to duplicate the key itself.  On the other
hand if you can have access to good milling equipment go for it.

If a keyer is your goal, likewise look for kits or articles in the
magazines for such an animal.

Satisfying projects I have built have included loop antennas vhf and uhf
antennas as well as hf ones as well along with mobile mounting stands
for hf and vhf/uhf rigs operating desks kits of electronic keyers etc
have been worthwhile projects through the years.  Good luck and let us
know what you come up with.  It all takes time and our first projects
are not always best.

My first attempt at a solid state tr switch dramatically failed.  I
still do not know why and never did try to figure it out.  I returned to
using my trusty Dow Key relay.  Now there is an item I wish I still had.
73 kd7jn....

-----

BRETT WINCHESTER

208-639-8386