From:
"C. ten Broeke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 12:56:23 +0200

> A while back someone on this list went to Ghana. What did you see in
> the markets? Anyone else been to Africa? Someone did a safari last year
> too...

I've been in South-Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe last year and
had a good look at 2 markets. Tomatoes, lettuces, onions, melons,
cucumbers (the one with the warty outsides), cabages and fruits as we
know here. Lots of sharonfruits which are hardly known here in Holland.
What was more interesting however were the fried larvae and maggots for
sale. Pieces of meat from sinister origin and loads and loads of fried
sweetstuffs.  People there seemed to eat tons of bread and rice with
cakes galore.
Even in the smallest of towns there was fastfood, adapted to African
taste but still....
Only when we were out in the bush and met San (bushmen) we got a taste
of traditional living. They spoiled it for me with a danceshow. In towns
people are quite overweight and diabetic (according to the organisation
I worked for there).

Christy