From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:41:52 -0700

I'm just about to start a low-carb diet myself. My weight has crept up on
the GF muffins and bagels I've been having for breakfast, plus lentil or
bean soups for lunches (delicious, low-fat and GF...but high-carb). I
thought about Atkins but when I e-mailed them to ask about ingredients in
their shakes and other products, they sent back nothing but a disclaimer
that "individual health concerns should be discussed with your doctor."
Never addressed my question about specific ingredients in specific products.
Also, I just today spoke with my doctor about my concerns and he recommended
"Managing the Zone" rather than Atkins. I'm going to go buy that book and
see what it suggests. Good luck!

Pete's Dessert Tofu either in Mango or Strawberry.  It is very low in
carbs and I usually mix it with a scoop of Pro-Star Bananna Whey Protein
(gluten-free, dairy free) and about 3/4cup of water.  Mix in a blender and
you have a light breakfast.

Natureaid and GenSoy both have GF/CF soy protein powder easily mixed with
soy / almond / rice milk for a great hi-protein low carb shake.  I add 1/2
c. of frozen strawberries /blueberries to mine.  Great in the Summers when
temperatures rise above 80 degrees!

What I've found that works for breakfast is toasted soynuts (you can get
these in the health food store and many regular grocery stores) mixed
together with yogurt (NOT low-fat yogurt, the more fat the better will
stabilize blood sugar).  I also add toasted nuts and just a few raisins. May
also add unsulphured coconut. It sticks with me and keeps the blood sugar
stable for 3-4 hours.

You sound like a fellow junk food junkie. I get a trail mix from Trader
Joe's that is GF. It has almonds, walnuts, squishy fruity things, and
chocolate covered somethings to make it a treat. I munch it on
my way to work on those days I don't eat a "real" breakfast. Something like
that might be more satisfying than a drink. It gives your hands and mouth
something to do for a while.

I use soy flour and flax meal in most recipes in place of flour.  For
shakes, there are gluten -free powder protein shake mixes around based on
soy, whey and/or egg.  These can be found at GNC among other places.  I am
also low-carbing and have lost quite a bit of weight.  A quick low-carb
shake is just to use the mix, some water and ice in a blender.  For a richer
shake I will also add some tofu and DaVinci sugar-free syrup into the mix.

I empathize.  Although not diabetic.  I have been taking a product every day
for breakfast that is supposedly helpful for balancing blood sugars:
Metagenics brand , UltraglycemX. It is a powdered supplement that I mix with
water, flaxseed oil, ice and 1/2 banana. You may have to skip the banana due
to sugars. But, it is designed to digest slowly, with a  balance of carbs
and protein.  It is relatively expensive.  I buy it from a pharmacy, and one
physician in my area. Check out the website for Metagenics.

yes, I do... how about Whey Protein shake from NOW foods, you can find on
the net under the same name,. you can make  a great shake with frozen
berries, yogurt and a scoop of this powder.. it taste really good.

If you are ok with milk, try making some kefir smoothies. Kefir is great
stuff, and it is pretty low carb (esp. if you make it yourself) because the
milk sugar (lactose) is eaten up by the bacteria.  Kefir is really easy to
make -- do a Google search on "Kefir Dom".

Add a bit of low-carb fruit, if you want. If you have  a Vitamix, you can
make shakes from nuts too.

I have a couple of fried eggs for breakfast though, or some meat. If you are
going low-carb, you NEED to get more fat, or you can get kidney damage. So
frying is a good way to go. However, I tend to get blood sugar swings and
have found that fried hasbrowns are not a problem (probably because the fat
slows down digestion, and I eat them with the eggs).

If you are not allergic eggs, I would suggest eggs, fruit or vegetables, and
low fat bacon or lean meat for breakfast. I have Candida and have been
eating a low carb breakfast for 3 years. I eat scrambled eggs, normally a
vegetable since I can't do fruit, and then low fat bacon or some sort of
meat.

I follow a low carb diet religiously.  Try Keto Shakes!  If memory serves,
they are all GF but you can call the company to double check.   I do not
have their number but do a  Web search on Keto Shakes and you will find
them.

I have the same problem.  An omlet is fine when I have the time.  I also
like Arrohead Mills "Rice and Shine".  It is a hot cereal made with brown
rice.  It is great with cinnimon and Splenda to sweeten.  I have found that
Omega Smart Bars don't mess up my insulin level. I carry one of those in my
purse for those "can't find anything safe" times.  Since I've been eating
lower on the glycemic index, I haven't had any low sugar spells.

Thank you very much to those of you who responded!  I appreciate your
suggestions and advice!

-Christie