From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:37:04 -0700

To those of you who wanted a summary on this topic, I'm sorry it's taken so
long.

An update on my "shakiness" and the attempt to increase protein and decrease
carbohydrates: the low-carb approach hasn't really made that much of a
difference.  I'm leaning towards thinking that my shakiness and other
strange symptoms are related to hormones (I had a hysterectomy last May due
to severe endometriosis and can't take any estrogen because the stuff
started to grow back four months after surgery) and hormone imbalances
rather than related to how I'm eating.

Here's the summary of GF low-carb shakes:

I use the Myoplex Chocolate Cream daily.  50 Grams of protein and 7 of carb.
Buying them in bulk from SaveOnSupplements.com is the most cost efficient
way I've found to purchase.  Caution - Some of their drinks contain grain!

check out EAS.  There was a listing you should be able to search for on the
st johns website to find the GF list for their products.

not sure of the carb level, but look at www.genisoy.com for their protein
shakes. GF, tasty!

I feel your pain. I am hypoglycemic and follow a low-carb diet. As far as
shakes are concerned, there are No-Sugar Added ice creams out there many of
which are also GF that you could make a milkshake from. If
you are wanting something more nutritious (i.e. breakfast substitute) I
would suggest just coming up with your own recipe. Tring to find sugar-free
and gluten-free pre-made products is practically impossible. However, I do
know that Atkin's has a gluten-free list, and I believe that it is in the
archives. Personally, I eat nachos or mini pizzas on
tortillas for breakfast. One note about a low-carb diet. You will feel a lot
hungrier and will need to eat more often for the first week or so while your
body adjusts to the diet. I carry food with me when I go out just in case I
start to get dizzy--I've passed out in Wal-Mart twice. :) Good luck with
your diet and feel free to ask me any questions.

Part II coming soon!