From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 17:57:08 -0700
> Stevia is banned in Hong Kong, supposedly causes
> cancer. Made the
> papers here in Japan because lots of Japanese snacks
> were banned
> there. Stevia is popular here in Japan.
>

>  Is stevia now
> considered unhealthy?  By whom?
> Is there any research supporting this?

I think that in the US Stevia cannot be sold as a
"sweetener" but only as a food supplement.  YMMV, but
I really don't worry too much about it being
unhealthy. I don't use it very much at all, and in any
case I think it's less harmful than sugar or a
chemically constituted sweetener like sucralose or
aspartame. I'm not really familiar with any literature
on it, but a very savvy co-worker of mine used to use
a liquid form in her tea, and got me to try it. The
only thing I do know about it is that is is low on the
glycemic index.

http://games.yahoo.com/