From:
Han Morrow Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:39:44 -0700
Hello! I was just able to get back on the list after
being off for a while. My husband and I are moderate
paleo, if our wallets and food availability would
oblige we'd be stricter. I came to paleo through Ray's
book, having started out using Atkins.

Many of our friends have decided to do the bariatric
surgeries (roux n y etc)  I strongly disapprove of
this for a variety of reasons, but I am trying to be
supportive of my girlfriends who choose to take this
drastic and unnatural step.  Something i found
disturbing was that the prescribed post-op diet book
looks strangely like our (paleo) shopping list and
menus, but the words that go along with the menus are
stridently anti-fat, anti-low-carb. One of my
girlfriends who has done this has been causticly
unsupportive of our move to paleo, and seems to think
we've chosen a terrible, unwise eating plan. Which
seems very ironic to me that her prescribed eating
plan is a lot like our "unwise" choices, except that
it endorses sugarfree (aspartame filled) jello and
other modified products.

What I'm curious about: is anyone familiar with what
the bariatric surgeries do in terms of actual food
digestion?  I'm sure I'm not asking this in the most
precise way -- what I want to know is: what exactly
does the surgery do to an individual's ability to
digest the macronutrients? From observing her
difficulties, it seems like too much "carb" stuff
(anything sugary or starchy) sends her into a dumping
crisis, but she doesn't seem to connect this unless
she's eaten a "bad" thing, like a chocolate, or a
cookie.  On the other hand she tells me she can't eat
any kind of fat because it would put her into the
hospital as she can't digest it any more since the
operation. Is that true or is that just propoganda?

IMHO bariatric surgery just enforces metabolic
starvation. It's cruel that we have such a fat
prejudice in our country that these abominable
surgeries are accepted and even considered to be healthful.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/