From:
pook la roux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 14:39:37 -0700
> might they be criticizing you because they detect
> you feel critical of them?...

Actually I don't think so. I'm not a really
confrontational person, and I went way way out of my
way to learn about the procedure and do things that
were helpful to her and her family while she was
undergoing the initial surgery and post op. She  was
following a "butter busters" low fat plan when I was
just starting Atkins -- as a matter of fact I could
just kick myself because I gave her my old Butter
Busters cookbook since I wasn't using it anymore. This
is pretty much the entire reason why she knows I
follow an alternative eating plan at all. I don't talk
about what I eat/don't eat.

I switched over to paleo about a year ago, and haven't
gone back. But she still seems to think I'm doing
Atkins, even though I have tried to clue her in that
paleo is quite a bit different from Atkins. But  I
began losing weight, and she just wasn't losing
weight.  So at first I just read her comments as being
envy that I was losing weight and she wasn't.  She is
a pharmacy tech and has had training in nutrition, and
her comments at first sounded a lot like comments from
my mother in law (who is really a very nice person
BTW) who is a nurse. Bias about alternative
nutritional concepts common to people trained in the
current medical field climate. I wasn't really upset,
and didn't take it personally.

What's changed is that she and I *basically* eat the
same diet now, and she still makes little comments
here and there that show that she has an attitude
about it.  It's like "My diet is doctor prescribed,
but yours isn't so you shouldn't be eating that way."

There are other things -- she went on for two hours
last time we saw her about how great nutrasweet is.  I
didn't say a word.  When we got in the car to go home,
my husband said "I can't believe you didn't say a word
about the nutrasweet thing." Oh I wanted to!  But i
learned my lesson about that already . A few months
ago I mentioned that I don't use nutrasweet because it
breaks down into formaldehyde, and I told her I
sometimes use stevia powder instead.  The next time I
saw her she said she read somewhere that stevia was
banned by the FDA and hoped I wasn't still using it. I
honestly think she just wants to pick on me. If I said
I used nutrasweet, she'd say it was bad. If I say
black, she'll say white.  I think she just wants to
argue.

Personally I find not
> bringing up what I eat is a
> whole lot easier

That's basically the way I do handle it. Most people
aren't really interested in what I'm eating or not
eating. It just hurts here because we've actually been
quite close in the past, and she's being a hypocrite
about it. We're eating basically the same diet now,
except that doesn't seem to be okay with her.  I wish
we could talk about it -- she isn't having the easiest
time with her new shopping rules and cooking, and I
could help her. But I'm not going to help if she keeps
on picking on me!

http://games.yahoo.com/