RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jo Yoshida <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:30:52 -0700
Tracy, if you've checked out Stuart McRobert's Beyond Brawn, there's
a comprehensive chapter on diet relative to strength training needs.
Stuart was a natural hygienist for several years (ie. raw vegan)
during the middle period of his training career; and he currently
consumes animal products and cooked foods. In any case, he has
experienced both sides of the coin and he describes the differences
in his book.

For example, he feels that his stint as a raw vegan reduced his
long-term recuperative powers.

I remember making gains on a largely fruitarian diet but eventually
my body succumbed to exhaustion (after ten years). Then, I was very
judicious with my training intensities and rest periods, but still I
found it very difficult to continue without animal products. Your
body may respond differently and all I can suggest is that you
evaluate your strength gains about every 6 months and make dietary
(and other) adjustments if needed.

Sixty to seventy-five sets per week would kill me nowadays (and
probably most people I might add). I got away with it when I was 18
or 19 but not anymore. As you know, the problem with such high volume
training is that they're formulated by mesomorphs like
Schwarzenegger, who enjoy superior genetics and recuperative powers.

For the past several years, I've been training 30-40 minutes per
week, probably anywhere between 7-10 sets total. I'm going to try
stepping it up to two workouts per week or even three split workouts
but a maximum of 4 sets per session.

At the same time, although re-instituting animal products has helped
me to approach my past strength levels, I'm also going to try eating
raw meat and dairy. Best regards, Jo