From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:11:45 GMT
I want to address the "ISP" part of your response here.  When you use a
cable modem, you are required to use the ISP that the cable company provides
you.  With ADSL, however, that is not always the case.  At least in our
area, the phone company is required to supply the ADSL line, and will give
you a deal if you use their ISP, but you can use your own ISP if you wish.
I don't know if this holds true in all areas, but this is a possibility, and
one in which I would query your telco about.

Kyle

>From: Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] New ADSL phone line
>Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 21:18:11 -0500
>
> > My phone company has notified me that I'm part of a test group
> > eligible to have an ADSL line installed. This is quite new here.
> > Can someone tell me what that means regarding my internet/modem
> > connection? Will I need a new modem? Will I need to find an ISP
>
>      Yes, you need a new modem, they supply it.
>
> > which I can connect to at higher speeds (I'm presently using a US
> > Robotics Sportster 33,600 modem)?
>
>         No, they are your ISP. ADSL is just a high speed connection to the
>phone
>company through your phone line, they supply everything including the
>internet connection. It's alot like getting the internet over cable,
>although the technologies are very different from the customer they are
>about the same. In case you were wondering, there is no dialing up, you are
>always connected, and your phone line is not occupied, you can still make
>and receive calls by voice. TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org