From:
Sheon Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sheon Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:39:46 -0400

For those looking for gf vanilla, the product I used, and verified with
the company on Monday as being gf, is Cook's Premium Quality Vanilla
Powder Fine Bourbon Vanilla (see the explanation of Bourbon vanilla
below).  I love this vanilla and have used it for years, even before
being gf.  The vanilla flavor and aroma are so much more intense without
the alcohol base.  They also offer gf almond powder (which I also
recommend) and a alcohol-free gf vanilla in liquid form.

Contact Cook's at www.cookflavoringco.com or 1-800-735-0545.

It is also quite reasonable in price.  I've used the 4.5 oz bottle of
powder ($5.45/bottle plus shipping), which lasts me over a year, and I
bake completely from scratch.  I'm currently buying the 1.5# bottle
(approx 75 cents/oz plus shipping), to share with family.  I'll refill
my small bottle and store the rest in the freezer until I need it.  For
those of you in support groups, the best buy is the 5# bottle of powder
(50 cents/oz plus shipping), which you could then split among several
members.

I have no financial interest in this company.  I just wanted to share
the good news about a product I enjoy using, is reasonably priced, and
which I feel enhances my gf baked goods.
There are several other vendors available, and I found several gf
vanillas in both liquid and powder forms by doing a simple search for
"bourbon vanilla" online and then reading descriptions.

For those concerned about the reference to Bourbon, I found the
following explanation on the www.nielsenmassey.com vanilla website:

    "The term Bourbon applies to beans grown on the Bourbon
    Islands - Madagascar, Comoro, Seychelle and Reunion. There is no
    connection with the liquor produced in Kentucky in the United
States.
    Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is considered to be the highest quality
pure
    vanilla available, described as having a creamy, sweet, smooth,
mellow flavor. "

Happy GF Baking!!
Sheon Montgomery
Simpsonville, SC