From:
Mary Gallahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:09:09 EDT

I just returned from a singing tour of the Czech Republic and Hungary.  Our
group sang and stayed in major cities and out-of-the-way towns.  I was
concerned about eating gf, but was never hungry.  I even lost about 5 pounds.
 Yeh!

Language:  I don't speak a word of anything but English, much to my dismay.
Although I hunted, explanation cards for the 2 countries' languages didn't
seem to be available.  I finally settled on a German card having read
somewhere that German and Russian are common second languages in these
countries.  It saved my bacon.  I read enough music and restaurant-menu
German to be dangerous, but found that it sufficed.  So, if you are going to
these countries, bone up on your restaurant German.

A word of warning.  I usually asked "Deustch?" (sp?) when the waiter came
over.  Occasionally, a waiter would read the card and frown.  It's possible
that s/he only spoke German, but didn't read it.  That's a guess, but one
waiter would often call another over, have a rapid discussion in Hungarian or
Czech and politely say, I'll be right back.  Off went the card and the
waiter.  Back came the card.  I ordered with some gesturing and my food came.
 Usually with no trouble.  The waiters got tips and "Thank yous."

Food:  For the plane and emergencies, I took Bumblebee Tuna Salad in the
cans, 1 1/2 pounds cashews, cookies and crackers, corn chips, cheese, and
grapes.  You can get fresh food with no trouble.  It's also easy to order a
cheese plate or a salad of cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce.  Avoid the
sauces.  Ask questions.  Even in tourist season, people were always polite.

Enjoy yourself.  You will have a wonderful time.

Mary Gallahue