From:
Sher Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sher Jacobson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Sep 2011 15:46:47 -0700

Hi All,

I would like to add the following to clarify the purpose of my previous message:

The main reason that I shared this with all of you is that I am tired of
feeling like I'm the "difficult one" at all events, the "trouble maker"
and no, friends and family, I can't just "go with the flow" and a plain
dry salad as my meal does not bring me pleasure or make me feel
included.  Celiac and food allergies and intolerances are real.  I don't want to "stand out" or make anyone uncomfortable at an event nor am I
willing to make myself sick but I really want to enjoy the festivities
as much as everyone else.  My dietary food cards and love note were my
way of shining a positive light on the situation and to make everyone
(not only Celiacs) feel welcomed as honored guests and to feel comfortable as I and my
family have always wanted to feel.  I invite all of you to use my
"Dietary Love Note"  along with dietary cards/info, to welcome your
guests and share the love and warmth of a safe meal.    We are taught to accept those who are differently abled and that should include those of us who are "High Performance Models".  Maybe this will become widely
used and even serve to educate the average models about our reality and
help to create future awareness and acceptance.

Love,
Sher

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback that you have already sent me.  I will send a summary in a few days.

Here is a copy of my original message:

Hi all,

I recently survived my daughter's wedding.  Since food is always of great concern for my family when we go to events, I wanted to make sure that
it was a comfortable experience for everyone involved and that I gave
proper concern to handling everyone's needs.  We included a line on the
response cards requesting dietary restrictions and around 25% of our
guests indicated dietary restrictions including Celiac, various
allergies, vegans, vegetarians, kosher, dairy, eggs etc. (You get the
idea)  I went over all of the offerings with the caterer and filled out a chart so that I could make a card for each dish on the buffet
indicating if it was Gluten Free, Egg Free, Dairy Free, vegetarian,
etc.  It was painstaking work but so worth it based on all of the great
appreciation that I received for my efforts.  I posted the following sign in a frame on the table
where the guests picked up their place cards as well as one on the
buffet table.  I also made cakes and cookies that were gluten free,
dairy free, nut free, and egg free.

Dietary Love Note

We especially love all of you whose bodies refuse to be average and require custom diets in order to run at premium efficiency.  (Our family is full of "High Performance Models")

Dietary information is on cards by each dish.

Every effort has been made to avoid errors both written and cooking ones.  We care about your health and enjoyment.  Please keep in mind that our
kitchens (the caterer's and mine) are not certified allergen free.

*******
*******