From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:23:48 -0500

I have been using these for the seder since 1990. Although I am a
recently diagnosed celiac, I am also allergic to wheat which gives me
asthma attacks when I eat it straight like matzah. The oat matzah is
tasty and they have done alot of work over the years to make it not seem
like you are eating oatmeal.

I suspect this will be my last year eating the matzah because I suspect
I am having problems from eating it. I only quit eating any wheat last
passover however I had a reaction over passover (SEVERE swelling) that
may have been a side effect of just stopping the wheat or from the oat.
Will know this passover.

The matzah is available outside Israel. I know it is also available in
England but do not have the list of locations. I would recommend
contacting Rabbi Kestenbaum for other locations outside the US and the
Manchester VAAD for UK. (Yes I know it is overseas, I had to call
England one year to find out where to get it). In the US it is available
from the following (list obtained from Laws of Pesach A Digest, by Rabbi
Blumenkrantz 1999 edition):

Rabbi Kestenbaum (732)370-8460 (fax) (732)370-2997. Past information
indicated evening or morning is best to call. Call for information or
for UPS.

Brooklyn: Landaus Grocery (718)633-0633
Monsey: Hatzlacha Grocery and Kosher Glatt
Westchester: Mrs. Green's ((14)427-0111
Baltimore: Sweet Creations (410)358-5910
Los Angeles: Western Kosher (213)655-8870
Chicago: Hungarian Kosher (847)674-8008
Detroit: OneStop Kosher (248)569-5000
Manhattan(not yet confirmed): Whole Foods in Soho
Lakewood: Kollel Foods (732)363-8102

Keep in mind that the people involved in producing/distributing this
matzah are doing this solely for the mitzvah. I have been to David
Morris's home in Jerusalem many years ago to pick up my matzah and talk
with Rabbi Kestenbaum (in the US) about the status of my matzah order
because I was leaving the next day (from Baltimore) for Mexico City and
have had to call England regarding sources. They have always handled
inquiries with grace and calmness that is unbelievable just prior to
Passover. Each year I see it availble in more locations, the quality
improves (they originally could not make machine matzah until someone
developed the equipment that could handle the oat dough. This took at
least several years of experimenting), and they have increased the
amount made from being able to supply one matzah per person to having
enough for the entire passover!!! I have friends that annually make
matzah for part of their livelihood and therefore know it takes alot of
time, energy and organization to have done what this FAMILY has done
worldwide.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA