From:
Whitney Sparks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 23:23:45 -0800

Hi All!
        I have two questions;

1)  Annatto is a type of vegetable coloring product and is one of those
"watch out for" ingredients, but it is in some products that are
supposedly Gluten-free.  Kellogg's corn pops are supposed to be GF, but
it contains annatto.  I called Kellogg's and they told me the annatto in
corn pops is made from the pulp of the seeds of a tropical American tree
"Bixa orellanna".  Annatto is in virtually every brand of butter (and
many cheeses) I can get where I live.  The only brand of butter that the
TCCSSG lists as GF is Land-O-Lakes.  Land-O-Lakes also has annatto
"added seasonally".  Does anyone out there know what's up with annatto
and if it is derived from anything other than just the pulp of the seeds
of the Bixa orellana?  And what about annatto makes it bad for us
Celiacs?
        2) I've really started getting into juicing fruits and vegies lately
and I've read about all the wonderful benefits of drinking WHEATGRASS
juice.  Does anyone know if this is a no-no for celiacs?
Many thanks in advance!!
~Whitney~