From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 21:23:42 GMT

On Jun 16, 1996 10:01:42, '"Philip B. Glaser" <[log in to unmask]>'
wrote:

>Does anyone know if asymptomatic hypoglycemia (meaning they can't figure
>out the cause) be a symptom of celiac disease? Thanks.
>-Linda Glaser

Well, hypoglycemia, low blood sugar, is a early symptom of Type II
diabetes. Type II diabetes has a prevalence of 5 % in the general
population, though concentrated in older people. No enhancement among
celiacs has been found. It is not an autoimmune disease. (Type I diabetes
is enhanced among celiac (5% vs. 0.5% in the general population) because
the genes are nearby hence easily transmitted to offspring.)

The hypoglycemia is connected with a genetic defect in production of
insulin --too much in produced in response to high blood sugar.So the
hypoglycemia tends to occur 2 or so hours after eating. Type II diabetes
later develops. In the meantime there are proper  diets emphasizing slowly
metabolized carbohydrates so the body'r overreactive insulin generation is
damped. Later if the body's insulin resistance builds up, still more
insulin is produced and finally the ability to make insulin drops, causing
the over high blood sugar of diabetes.

Someone who already has untreated celiac  thus malabsorption, gets less of
the nourishment out of carbohydrates as well as proteins and fats.  So
lower blood sugar yes, but a healthy body regulates for that. If it can't
then there's diabetes, likely Type II for older people.

Type II diabetes is almost as badly underdiagnosed as celiac, There's
probably more than one kind of it. Only an endocrinologist can straighten
this out.

Neither kind of diabetes causes or is caused by celiac in any case. Celiac
is connected with protein recognition and metabolism. Diabetes with
carbohydrate recognition and  metabolism

                            Kemp Randolph
                            Long Island