From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 1996 19:14:35 -0400

At 02:00 PM 6/16/96 +0000, Max Desorgher <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>                Last week I posted a message about cures for depression
>on a newsgroup, and Don Weis answered and told me about the gluten-free
>diet.

Credit also has to go to Ron Hoggan, as he wrote the reply that I posted.
Depression is not one of my areas of expertise.

>One difficulty that has not improved - asthma-like breathing problems.
>I know I am allergic to grass pollen, and it is the hay-fever season
>now, but this feels like another allergy, maybe an allergy to house
>dust or cat-hairs. So my euphoria is slightly tempered now - Will my
>health really improve to the point that I will be able to live a fully
>active life, and be able to do all of those things I always dreamt of, like
>swimming and running, or am I being too optimistic? It feels as if
>the asthma has gotten worse, but the most likely explanation is that I
>am more aware of those symptoms, now that the other gluten-related
>symptoms have improved.

Asthma and allergies are different disorders than celiac, and would not be
cured by a GF diet. However, there are things you can do to help.

First, asthma symptoms like shortness of breath can be improved by being in
good aerobic shape. Obviously, starting from no exercise one would have to
build it up gradually.

Second, people say that celiacs are more susceptible to allergies and
asthma. I feel this is due to a deficiency of magnesium. Here is a quote
from the Wise Encyclopedia of Cookery, 1971:

"Healthy lungs show twice as much magnesium as lime. Magnesium is a
cell-builder, particularly of the nervous system and lung tissues. Magnesium
salts assist in reducing foreign matter and waste, and in carrying them out
of the system, thus invigorating the excretory organs and producing
pressure, without which metabolism would be impossible."

Note that lime is calcium carbonate. So taking calcium supplements could
make the balance worse.

In the asthma newsgroup there have been anecdotal reports of taking
magnesium supplements and it controlling their asthma. (I have collected
them up and can e-mail them to anyone interested.) Additionally it has been
observed that if you take magnesium before going to bed you will sleep
sounder. Apparently the magnesium helps the system's melatonin production.
And magnesium can help control muscle twitching.

Magnesium occurs naturally in hard water, coffee, and dark green vegetables.

How much to take? Since your gut will still be malabsorbing you would
probably want to start with some extra. Then it depends on how much of the
above you ingest. So I suggest starting with 400 mg before bedtime and see
how it goes. I usually take 300 mg before bedtime. Buying in 100 mg tablets
gives you flexibility.

Don Wiss.