From:
mary elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 15:02:29 -0800

     Hello, everybody-
     Below is the letter I just got today from the ice cream folks up
in Vermont. Regards to all. Mary in NYC

     RE BEN & JERRY'S ICE CREAM

[log in to unmask] wrote:

   Thanks for contacting us regarding the presence of gluten in our
product.

   To the best of our knowledge, our only flavors that contain gluten
are those with cookies or cookie dough (Chocolate Fudge Brownie,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Mint Chocolate Cookie, Chubby Hubby, Cool
Britannia, Peach Raspberry Trifle frozen yogurt, Low-Fat Blonde Brownie
Sundae, Coconut Cream Pie, Blackberry Cobbler, Sweet Cream & Cookies,
and S'mores).

    We have received assurances from our supplier of vanilla extract
that it is not preserved in gain alcohol, so we have determined that
our World's Best Vanilla is safe for those who cannot consume even
tiny amounts of wheat, rye, oats, or barley.

    We have also received assurances from the suppliers of the fruit
bases for our Doonesberry and Cranberry Orange sorbets that they are
gluten-free.  As we have learned more about Celiac Sprue, we have
decided to use extremely strict criteria for determining what flavors
are safe.  Unless we have heard specifically from a supplier regarding
the gluten content of their ingredients, we will not make any
assumptions about the safety of a finished product.

   Please be assured that we are attempting to get more information for
you.  We will be keeping your name and email address in a database so
that we can send you updated information as we receive it.  If you have
questions, please feel free to contact the Consumer Affairs department
at 800-726-6748.

 Alice Blachly
 Consumer Affairs