From:
Gwynneth Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 12:35:49 -0500

This is in referrance to Amy's post about Living Without's article
about DH and skin/gluten contact.

My question is: Other than this article, are there any scientific (not
anecdotal) studies or evidence indicating that gluten on the skin can
cause a celiac reaction? Can gluten proteins be absorbed through the
skin?

On another topic: I've seen postings by members saying that they get
a celiac reaction from the smell of baking bread.  Is it possible for
the amino acids that make up gluten can break down and be dispelled
through the air? (I'm not referring to airborn wheat flour or particles,
just odors).

Any information or direction in helping me get some answers is greatly
appreciated!  Will summarize,too.

Gwynneth in Boston