Date:
Thu, 7 May 2009 22:36:15 -0500

Many people are intolerant of wine products, regardless of whether they are
gluten intolerant or not.  Those with sulfite allergy should not consume
wine products in any form, even organic, as sulfites occur naturally in the
wine fermentation process.  The cheaper versions, especially the sweet six
pack ones, are loaded with sulfites.  Think about choosing a different
beverage of choice, say rum.  Please don't confuse sulfites with sulfur,
which is a naturally occurring chemical in the body.  You can find out more
information by googling sulfites and sulfur.

Common complaints of wine product sensitivity are headaches, worse hangovers
than distilled liquors, and upset stomach whether it's heartburn on down to
diarrhea.  A more serious sensitivity would be where you feel your lips/face
swelling, or airway difficulty. Those of you who are told not to take
"sulfur drugs" would be considered to have a wine sensitivity as well and
best to avoid it.  I am personally allergic to sulfur drugs my entire life
since a young child when the docs tried to treat an infection with same.  I
was able to tolerate wine for many years with no problems before I was dx'ed
celiac, but wouldn't dare again after an instance of airway swelling which
thank goodness I had some Benadryl as I was 40 minutes from a hospital.

Cheers, Dorina