Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 17:35:17 EST

Hi everyone,

I recently wrote regarding my children's blood test results.  They had all
come out positive for the IgG antigliadin antibody test but were negative for
the IgA and EMA test and they also were not IgA deficient so this indicates
the IgA and EMA were accurate tests.

I asked "why bother testing for any other blood test other than the EMA
because of the frequent false positives on the IgG " and I received a response
from Dr. Vijay Kumar of IMMCO Diagnostics, Inc.   He discussed the three types
of tests for CD (EMA, ARA and AGA).   The EMA and ARA detect IgA antibodies
but since there are some patients who are IgA deficient, and these tests come
out negative, his laboratory will do repeat tests on patients whose IgG test
is positive by testing for the presence of IgG class autoantibodies to EMA and
ARA.  He says this will identify all CD subjects who are IgA deficient.
Because of this he believes all the tests are important.

I also received a posting from someone who tested positive on both antigliadin
antibody tests (IgG and IgA) and negative on the EMA (endomysial antibody) and
had a positive biopsy.  This certainly changed my thinking quite a bit.  I
always thought the EMA was the definitive test and I see now there are always
those few exceptions.  There is always the chance of a test being incorrectly
done so it's not good to depend on just one test.

As a final thought, when I have my children retested a few years from now, I
will request that the doctor orders all the tests.  I will also ask him to
write on the order where I want the blood samples to be sent.  These tests are
usually sent out to a larger laboratory and the only way to get a local lab to
send it to where you want it sent is to have the doctor write it on the order.

Thanks to all who wrote.

Barb from NE Ohio