From:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:32:16 -0500

At 04:33 PM 6/22/2004, you wrote:
><<Disclaimer: Verify this information before applying it to your situation.>>
>
>So from what I have gathered from everyone (thanks!) it looks like buckwheat
>itself is GF, but most all buckwheat noodles also contain wheat (except the
>Eden brand ones).
>
>The ones I was hoping to eat are available at sushi (soba, etc.) and Chinese
>(chow mien, noodle soup, etc.) restaurants here in the SF bay area.
>
>But I highly doubt that they are using the GF Eden brand ones, so I am not
>going to take the risk of eating them @ said restaurants.  Oh well!  At
>least now I know!
>
>Thanks!
>
>_jason_
>
>*Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CELIAC List*

I'm sending this comment to the list because all my posts to Jason have
bounced.

Actually, I've found that most of the western "health food" ones contain
wheat, including all but one of the varieties made by Eden. (Eden makes one
soba that is 100% buckwheat. They also make a kuzu starch noodle and a
lotus starch noodle.) By contrast, many of the Japanese brands are
buckwheat only. You have to look at the package, or get the restaurant to
look for you. The only noodles made with buckwheat are varieties of
soba--the udon, chow mein, etc are always wheat. But, don't forget that
there are also gf rice noodles and bean thread noodles, both of which will
show up in Asian restaurants, too.

Joe Ellison
Chicago, IL