From:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Ellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 2004 01:34:38 -0500

Here's another cake (as if we need more)--it's easy, gf, dairy-free, and
egg-free. Based on the Eggless, Milkless Spice Cake in the Joy of Cooking
(March 1971 printing, 1964 edition) (in later editions called Egg-free,
Dairy-free Spice Cake)

Preheat oven to 325 F.
Grease a bundt or tube pan (JoC calls for a 7-inch tube pan, I used a
10-inch bundt pan with no problems)

Boil together, covered, for 3 minutes:
1 cup water
2 cups raisins
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dairy-free margarine or shortening
1/2 tsp each ground cinnamon and allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

Let cool. This mixture can sit overnight with no harm to the finished
product. Just don't refrigerate it, or you'll have to reheat it.

Sift, then measure to equal 2 cups:
2 cups gf flour mix (I used 1 2/3 cups of a one:one:one mix of asian
white rice flour, sweet rice flour, and tapioca starch, plus 1/3 cups
sorghum, but any all-purpose mix will do)

Sift again with:
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum, if desired (I used it, but would actually leave it
out next time)

Stir the flour into the liquid ingredients (or the other way round--it
really doesn't matter). Stir until smooth.

If desired, add:
1 cup chopped almonds or other nuts
1 cup chopped dried fruit, such as dates, figs, and candied citron

Pour batter into prepared pan, and level with a spatula. Bake for one
hour. It will test done at about 45 or 50 minutes, but needs the extra
baking time to set properly. If it doesn't test done (toothpick comes out
clean) at one hour, keep baking until it does, then give it another five
or ten minutes.

Allow to cool in pan on a cooling rack, then turn out onto a serving platter.

JoC recommends icing it with a caramel icing that is not dairy-free. I
found it fine with no icing. You could also use a sugar/lemon juice
glaze, or a white buttercream style icing.

For those on the list who don't yet have a favorite spice cake for the
High Holiday season (coming sooner than you think), this would be a good
one. The one I usually use (adapted from Love & Knishes) calls for strong
coffee as part of the liquid--you could probably substitute coffee for
some or all of the water in this one.

Joe Ellison
Chicago, IL