From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:33:50 -0500

Listmates,

Yesterday, Grace and I took our Van's Rice pancakes to Denny's as we have
been accustomed to do for special breakfast celebrations, and were told that
we would be no longer allowed to substitute our g/f pancakes for theirs.
After speaking to a manager and later to a few higher-ups, I found this new
policy was not a Denny's policy per se, but that the health department had
been complaining about their willingness to allow others with diet
restrictions to bring in outside food.  I ended up speaking with a local
health official who conceded that this policy could be a violation of the
American's with Disabilities Act.  Has anyone else ever run into this problem?

Although each of us might be able to handle this sort of thing locally, it
did bring up to me how local regulation of restaurants could leave some of
us high and dry when we are travelling with our families in unfamiliar
territory.  I always take a sack of groceries with bread and pancakes and
cookies and such when travelling.  I've felt that taking my four year old to
McDonald's, for instance, is an important part of helping her to feel that
not eating wheat is no big deal and that she's a kid like any other kid.
But making her eat a bunless hamburger or wait to eat in the car is just
asking too much of her, I think.  She was really mad about the situation
yesterday.

I wouldn't be opposed to carrying some sort of official card around that
says we are authentically permanently diet restricted, but I haven't a clue
who would do the paperwork to make that sort of approach workable.

Opinions?  Stories?  Strategy?

Thanks,

Susan Owens

PS.  By the way, my uncle was diet restricted, and I got a view of potential
lifetime consequences when I arrived at his home from out of town a day
earlier than they expected, and in a fluster, my sixty year old aunt took us
to a place like McDonald's.  She invited us to join her at the table, where
she expected a waitress to come take our order, and, getting beyond that
hurdle, she then got all upset when she found out she couldn't order green
beans.  I don't want to become that isolated, do you?  With all the birthday
parties my daughter is invited to, being able to take food into Chuck E
Cheeses, and all those party places is very important for her!
                            (Walter & Susan Owens)
                            Dallas, Texas  USA