From:
JSTmagpie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:05:25 EST

Here are excerpts of the (very few) responses on my query about cosmetics,
shampoos etc. None seemed definitive or documented with medical fact so I"m
still at a loss...

...if used on the face, for example, and you touched your face and then licked
your finger for some reason...As far as I know, it would probably not be
absorbed into the skin, and then somehow make it's way to your digestive
tract.  I believe Dr. Murray said there was a study done where topical gluten
was placed on the skin of DH patients and they did not have outbreaks.  The
outbreaks were only caused by ingestion of gluten that eventually made it's
way to the skin as IgA deposits.

I only use Almay powder as it contains no oatmeal or gluten.  All the Cover
Girl powders contain oatmeal.

....I have no reaction to topical products and I am have celiac
disease. There is no way for gluten to do damage to the small intestine
by using a shampoo or topical skin product

....according to some material i read it said the molecules of makeup etc are
too large to go through the skin to affect the intestines.

....If I touch something made of wheat and do not wash my hands instantly I
get just as sick as if I had eaten something.  I actually carry
disposable gloves, not that I am a   fanatic, I just hate to get sick.

....In our family, gluten does a number on our
brains, not just our intestines.  My son and I (the celiacs in the family)
both become irrationally angry and lethargic, thinking processes, reading
speeds, etc. all change.  Then of course there is the business of
malabsorbtion causing problems with teeth and bones.  So think of the whole
body when you think reaction to gluten.  As there seems to be more and more
evidence that gluten intake affects multiple sclerosis, autism, and any
number of other diseases, we cannot limit our thinking to intestinal
reactions.

....If I use the wrong hair product I get welts on my head
and back of my neck....products that can end up in
your mouth, i.e. hand lotion, make up and lipstick can all end up in your
digestive system which can cause problems.