From:
Joel Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:42:16 -0600

Thank you all very much for your thoughtful responses to my question about
gluten absorption thru the skin. My question concerned my son's dish
washing responsibilities.

As with most issues, there isn't a simple answer:

1. Two or three persons in the medical/scientific field noted that the
gluten protien is too large to be absorbed thru the skin.

2. Several persons noted that they wash dishes that contain gluten with no
problems.

3. A number of persons indicated that they have sensitivity and are
affected by gluten in dishwater, as well as baking, kids playing with
play-dough, etc.

4. Some people are sensitive to the type of dish soap and suggested using a
GF soap.

5. Several persons suggested wearing rubber gloves when washing gluten
containing dishes.

I think I'll see about my son using rubber gloves or finding other chores
for him around the house.

I hope this helps others.

Thanks again.

Joel Roth