From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:53:25 -0800

Earlier this year, I posted about my success with using melatonin for a good
night's sleep as recommended by Dr. Jerry Mixon, a leading edge MD
specializing in longevity medicine.  I was overwhelmed with emails warning
that melatonin may cause autoimmune disease because it says so on the bottle
& the websites.  I knew Dr. Mixon wouldn't recommend anything that is
dangerous, but I wanted to know the origins of that warning.  I had an
opportunity to ask Dr. Mixon about it today.  He said that warning is a
perfect example of "over labeling" manufacturers put on products to protect
themselves from lawsuits.

Dr. Mixon further explained the origins of that warning.  Melatonin is known
to enhance the immune response, so some have postulated that over doses of
melatonin could cause autoimmune disease.  But, so far, there's no evidence
found anywhere that normal physiologic doses or even overdoses of melatonin
have ever caused development of autoimmune disease or even an aggravation of
autoimmune symptoms in people already diagnosed with autoimmune disease.

[To refresh your memory:  Melatonin is a chemical our brains make in
response to light stimulation to the eyes that enables us to sleep soundly.
Melatonin production decreases with age, causing the sleep problems that
come with middle age & beyond.]

I asked why my husband & I were recently not getting the same results we got
earlier this year from taking the same dose of melatonin.  He felt the most
likely reason is that the days are getting shorter & we need to increase our
dose accordingly.  Bright sunlight stimulates the brain to make more
melatonin during the spring & summer, but now that winter's getting close,
we are getting less light that we need to stimulate our brains to make
sufficient melatonin to assure a good night's sleep.  He further explained
that in his practice his patients gradually increase their doses until late
January then taper if off in the spring, some not needing any at all during
the summer months.

I also asked Dr. Mixon to comment on the rumor that we need to periodically
get off melatonin because our bodies become "immune" to it.  He said that's
totally false.  It's all a matter of finding the appropriate dose for the
individual & the time of year.

To find your correct dose, he recommends starting with 1 mg a night.  Every
third or fourth night increase by 1 mg until you get the desired results.
If you get wild & vivid dreams that actually disturb sleep & feel "hung
over" the next day, that means you've overdosed, so back off 1 mg.  That is
your ideal dose for the time being.  (Understand that you may need to
increase during the winter months.)  If you've titrated to your ideal dose &
still don't sleep well, there's probably some other problem that needs to be
addressed.  [Melatonin is not needed for people under 40 years unless
prescribed by a physician for specific medical conditions.]

There's absolutely nothing quite a nice as a good night's sleep.  According
to Dr. Mixon, there's no reason to fear using melatonin to help you get the
rest you need.

~Valerie in Tacoma