From:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Melissa Mannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:49:27 -0500

Hi everyone,
I am putting myself at risk of getting flamed over this, but I must say that
I do not disagree with the general idea that I think Mr. Blaikie is trying
to get across.  I think the tone he takes is a little obnoxious (I for one
am quite happy without a queen or a tiara), but I think as celiacs that we
must respect others' feelings as well as worrying about ourselves.  As
someone with numerous food intolerances on top of my celiac, I ALWAYS warn
my hostess ahead of time that it is very difficult to prepare a meal for me,
that I will bring my own food as a backup, and may even eat beforehand.
Communication beforehand is key.   I would never pick things out of my food
and leave them at the side of the plate. I would never complain or try to
make myself (or my celiac) the center of attention.  If I think my illness
is too overwhelming for my hostess, I just don't attend the affair.  I don't
expect others to bend over backwards for me.  But more often than not, when
I explain the situation, people do try to bend over backward for me.
Invariably, when I bring my own food people will ask me about my food issues
and I'll explain celiac to them.  They usually have lots of questions and
are polite and sympathetic. I don't think that Mr. Blaikie is picking on
people with food intolerances and allergies. I think he is just making a
general point about giving consideration and thanks to a hardworking
hostess.

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving and stay healthy!

Melissa
NH