From:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 11:39:40 -0700

Follows is a response I received from Newman's Own about the

possibility of the company developing a line of gluten free products.

Dear Ms. Gates,Shuster Laboratories, Inc. is a technical consulting organization retainedby Newman's Own, Inc. to provide technical and quality assurance services.Newman's Own welcomes questions or comments about all their products.Over the past several years, Newman's Own has had several dozen inquiriesconcerning celiac disease.  Since that time, we have received a substantialquantity of technical information on this subject.  Based on thisinformation, we feel the following Newman's Own products are gluten free:- Newman's Own Spaghetti Sauce (all varieties)-   Newman's Own Popcorn-   Newman's Own Microwave Popcorn- Newman's Own Lemonade-  Newman's Own Organics - Sweet Dark Chocolate Products-  Newman's Own Organics Yellow Corn Tortilla ChipsThe gluten containing status of Newman's Own Salad Dressing and Newman's OwnSalsas (all varieties) is uncertain because these products contain distilledvinegar which is typically produced from grains such as wheat.We consider the following Newman's Own products to contain gluten:-       Newman's Own Organics Pretzels (all types)-     Organic unbleached wheat flour- Newman's Own Organics Milk Chocolate  and Crisped Rice MilkChocolate-   Organic barley malt extractWe would consider these products unacceptable in a gluten-free diet.We hope that you will once again try Newman's Own products and continue tobe a valued customer. Sincerely,Newman's Own Customer Service Team