From:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Gates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:45:22 -0700

After all the research and info I got from the list, I chose to go to Outback Steakhouse on my recent trip to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I explained my problem with gluten, explained what gluten was and was assured by the waiter that the grill would be cleaned, even though no breaded items are ever cooked on it. He told me the potato had a salt on the jacket which they would clean off. I ordered a steak with no seasonings, a cleaned plain, dry potato and a dry salad (brought my own GF dressing) with no croutons. When my salad came, there were crumbs on it. Obviously, croutons had been put on the salad and then taken off. I told the waitress I couldn't eat that salad because of the croutons and she looked at the plate, then stated "there's no croutons on it". I showed her the crumbs, she rolled her eyes and took the salad back. I was brought a new salad by a different waiter and he did apologize for the mix-up. I looked for any crumbs, found none, and proceeded to eat my dinner. Within 20 minutes the gurgling started and I then blew up with gas. By the time I got back to my motel, I was desparate for the porcelain throne and spent the next 4 hours visiting it. I don't know if the salad plate still had some crumbs (I searched deligently and couldn't see any) or if it was something else. I hadn't eaten anything all day before the dinner, so I know it was something in that dinner. Just a warning - no matter how hard a restaurant may try, we just have no way of knowing what is in the food.

Debbie/AZ