From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:32:15 -0400

I asked for comments about whether or not folks with CD would feel comfortable getting the
flu mist vaccine (live virus) over the injectable one (dead virus).  Some were confused and
must have thought I was asking about getting a flu vaccine. No, I just wanted opinions
about the level of concerns getting a live virus vaccine over the standard dead virus one.

It should surprise no one that I got all kinds of responses, and it is clear from what I read
that there is a whole lot of misinformation out there. Bottom line: there were more people
who had gotten or will get the flu mist vaccine over those who would not. Several people
took issue of my suggesting that those with CD are immune compromised. A few said that if
you are living GF, your immune system should be fine.

My friend, the pediatrician, said there was a chance of my son getting a mild case of H1N1
with the flu mist, but that risk was better than NOT getting vaccinated and then getting the
flu at full force. True. Still, I wanted the injection for my son. But this was not to be as by
the time we stood in line for nearly two hours, the only thing they'd give him at the flu
clinic was the flu mist as they were saving what few injections they had for those with
seriously compromised immune systems.

So far, so good. No reactions whatsoever. I failed to mention that my son is severely
needle-phobic. The mist made his day.