From:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kim Turet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:21:37 -0400

My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Celiac nearly 2 years
ago.  The gluten free diet has really helped her to feel better but
she has the episodes I do not understand and I am hoping that someone
out there will maybe have some thoughts about it.

It usually begins by her saying "I don't feel right" - she can't put
her finger on exactly what specifically she is feeling...she just
knows it's "not right" - then within a day or so, she feels "tingly"
- usually her arms, legs, hands and lips - it doesn't hurt, just
tingles.  Along with this, she feels nauseous, tired, cold and
achy...this is such a huge variation from the norm for her - she
wear's tank tops and shorts all winter long, she is as naturally
happy and upbeat a person as I've ever met and her "neutral" mode is
extremely high energy - so when she suddenly feels so miserable,
tired, lethargic and cold it just is such a marked change from usual
for her.  These episodes last from 1 -10 days and there have been
times where she has had a few in the course of several months or,
like right now, it has probably been six months since she last had one.

We have been to the GI doc, as well as a rheumatologist and her
primary.  Blood work is normal.  Neurological exam is normal. Could
this just be the way she responds to an accidental gluten exposure?
Has anyone else had or seen symptoms like this from gluten (or
anything else)?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!  I really
am tired of feeling so helpless and not even understanding what it is
I am unable to help!

Thanks so much in advance!

Kim in PA

*******