From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:08:52 EDT

Well there is some justice in the world.  I wanted to know
if there was a replacement for oat bran in lowering cholesterol
naturally.  Many wrote back to me that there indeed was a substitute
and it was rice bran.  I did some research and found that according
to Robert E. Kowalski in his book "The 8 Week Cholesterol Cure".
In the chapter "Other Marvels and Fabulous Foods" He notes that Rice Bran
is more powerful than Oat Bran in controlling
cholesterol as one would need 1/2 cup oat bran to have the cholesterol
lowering effects of 2 tablespoons of Rice Bran.

He also names Metamucil or psyllium seeds, a product from
grapefruit rind and flesh (not the fruit itself) certain fish
and fish oils (others on the list recommended recommended flax oil).

Also in the book there is recommendations about increasing niacin and
calcium levels.  The nutritional deficiency problem is one that many of
us have faced before our gut healed.  The niacin he recommends is a very
high dose and one should get medical advice before increasing it to that
level.  I have not read the whole book yet so there may be much more to
his studies.

Others recommend:

-Here is something which may interest those of us who have high cholesterol.
My husbands cholesterol was 308. He started eating rice bran, we buy it in
the box from the health food store and he sprinkles it on everything. It
looks more or less like flour and is gf, all it is is the bran of the rice.
Lo and behold after about 3 wks. his cholesterol is down to 180. The only
thing we can attribute this drop in cholesterol to is the rice bran, he
didn't change anything else in his diet. Beats taking drugs!

-onions and garlic supplements

-a low carbohydrate diet, such as Atkins or the Zone.

-Besides oat bran, beans (navy beans, pinto beans, etc.) have lots of
soluble fiber.

-Garbanzo bean flour would be good. Have u ever read the book"eat right
for your blood type"by Dr.Dadamo ?

-have you done any research on supplements?  One that has
been very successful in lowering people's 'bad' cholesterol levels is
ProVexCV by Melaleuca.  It does a lot of other good things too, since it is
an antioxidant.  You can read about it at http://www.melaleuca.com and there
was an item in the papers last week where it was talked about at the
American Dietetic Association's annual meeting as being a fighter of heart
disease.  It was an Associated Press article so it is on their web site.

-Use skim milk, do not use trans fats such as Crisco, margarine,
peanut butter that has been hydrogenated.  Try to use
oils, preferably cold pressed.  Of course reduce red meats,
use skinless chicken breast and cold water fish. I believe there
are some seeds such as sunflower seeds, etc. that are good for
the HDL lipoproteins and also, Vit E, at least 400 IU per day.
and Vit C (500 mg per day). Also lose weight, which is very difficult
for many people.

Thanks to all of you who wrote to help.  Carol in NJ